For many single attractive men who have trouble landing a long-term relationship, it can be frustrating to see beautiful women constantly adorn the arms of guys who, in your opinion, are not as handsome, successful or smart as yourself. Yet, when it comes to the type of guy that women choose for a serious relationship, you may be surprised to learn that attraction is more than just skin-deep. In fact, while there is obviously still a need for physical attraction in any relationship, women tend to rate personality traits higher than good looks on their list of “must-haves” for a future spouse.
It should not come as a shock to hear that women expect their romantic partners to be nice to them. However, the best kind of guy goes one step further. This is the type of man that opens his date’s door on a romantic outing, the type who is chivalrous to a fault and will do everything in his power to make her happy. This type of guy proves that chivalry is not dead. In a blog post earlier this year, we covered several tips that a guy should follow if he wants to be a gentleman, including:
- Pick up the check always and without hesitation. The modern lady may not think twice about splitting the check, but the gentleman in you should. Though some condemn the behavior of picking up the tab as archaic and patronizing, many relationship experts agree that most women will not see it this way and will instead be impressed
- Treat the staff well. This applies to anywhere you and your date visit. Tip appropriately and discreetly, and always treat those serving you with respect
- Enter a cab or restaurant booth first. Though it may seem more proper to let her in first, a woman wearing a skirt or dress will appreciate it if you do not make her scoot to the other side of the seat
- Put away your phone during dates and avoid glancing at your watch, as these gestures convey boredom and impatience
- Offering your arm to your date is a classy alternative to holding hands that also reveals your sophisticated side
- Open doors for her. These include the car door, cab door, restaurant door, etc.
On the other hand, chivalry alone is not enough to catch the woman of your dreams. Simply being kind can be boring without the presence of humor.
You don’t have to be a professional comedian, but it is important that you can make her laugh. A strong sense of humor is one of the most desirable qualities in a man, according to most women. Researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine found in a recent study that women have evolved to appreciate humor and that they are predisposed to find humorous men attractive, regardless of their looks. For evidence of this, you only have to look at the physical appearance of some of today’s funniest comedians compared to the love and adoration that their fans have for them.
It is also estimated that women test a man’s genetic fitness as an appropriate partner and potential father through his ability to make people laugh. However, if you don’t feel that you’re naturally funny, don’t worry! Sharpen your wit by watching funny TV shows, reading droll books, or perhaps even attending an improv class to learn what makes people laugh. Chances are, you will want to find a partner that finds the same things funny as you.
Finally, as you have probably heard before, confidence is everything when it comes to snagging and keeping a date. Be confident in yourself and she will notice. Confidence is sexy and will certainly help you get the girl.
What qualities do you look for in a life partner? Let us know in the comments!