A first kiss is a magical moment between a couple: it's a marker of passion, a window into intimacy, and a hint at the future.
I just read a great article with some fun "kissing stats" that I have to pass on:
- Two out three couples turn their head to the right when they kiss (I guess this generally accepted style reduces a lot of first smooch awkwardness and mid-kiss collisions!)
- A light smooch on the cheek uses 2 muscles, a full passionate kiss uses 34 facial muscles. Time to go to the gym!
- No two lip impressions are the same. Just like fingerprints and snowflakes -- I wonder how our justice system would be different if every criminal was "lip printed"?
- The "X" (of famous "XOXOXO" symbology) has been the symbol of a kiss since the Middle Ages. In the late 5th Century, people who could not read were allowed to substitute an "X" for their signature. They would kiss the mark as a sign of sincerity. Eventually the "X" would come to mean "kiss".
- It's a thrill! A good kiss releases the same chemicals into the brain as race car driving, parachuting or running the 100-yard dash!
I think I'm going to put "more kissing" on my 2011 New Year's resolution list -- congrats to my husband!